At Creswell Junior School we want children to explore, question, trial, spot patterns, generalise and solve problems in Maths. We follow guidance from the White Rose Hub and Maths No Problem and provide children with weekly opportunities to develop and deepen their understanding of mathematical skills; gain new, age-appropriate knowledge and give the children time to apply the skills they have learnt to reason and solve mathematical problems. By using real life contexts, this helps children to develop skills they can use in their everyday lives. It gives Maths meaning. It makes Maths more fun! We encourage the use of mathematical skills in all areas of the curriculum to reinforce the importance of maths in all aspects of life and learning. We aim to use concrete manipulatives throughout KS2 for children to use in all areas of their learning in maths.
- To develop arithmetic skills appropriate to the child’s stage of learning.
- To build on skills learnt, by extending knowledge of mathematical operations throughout the key stage.
- To develop a rich mathematical vocabulary for all children.
- To encourage the children to talk confidently about maths and use their knowledge to reason about a variety of mathematical ideas and concepts.
- To develop the children’s knowledge of shape and space and instil the skill to manipulate shape correctly using the intended vocabulary.
- To provide children with the skills and understanding to create and interpret a range of data graphs and charts.
- To allow the children the opportunity to develop a range of problem-solving skills to apply to a range of different problems.
- To promote resilience when tackling challenging problems so that additional problem solving and correction can be developed.